How to install GeckoOS on a 4.2 Wii
From OzModChips Wiki
In October 2009 Nintendo released the 4.2 update. While the purpose of the update was to stop people from softmodding their console, they have changed a bunch of things and the end result is that modchip users can no longer play their legit games from other regions on a wii with a modchip.
The way that modchips achieve region free is by patching a certain part of the Wii disc to trick the wii into thinking the game is from the same region. Unfortunately they have now changed the way that the wii checks the region of a game! The games region information is also contain in an encrypted part of the disc, and the wii now checks this part of the disc. Because the region information in encrypted, it is pretty much impossible for a modchips to access to area. This means modchip companies can't really update anything to help.
Fortunately there is a solution for you.
While we are not a big fan of softmodding, there are certain things you can do which are very easy. There are 2 levels of softmodding
- Installing the Homebrew channel, and running Applications off an SD card
- Installing the Homebrew channel, changing cIOS files to change your wii around!
We are only going to give you info on number 1. THe hombrew channel is a gateway to run applications safely from an sd card. When you venture into modifying cIOS files you are puting your $400 console in the hands of Nintendo, who can easily brick your console with a wii update (by accident).
Installing the Homebrew channel and GeckoOS on a 4.2 firmware Wii
Extract the files contents onto an SD card (any size will do) it should look like this
- click on the SD card icon on the bottom of your wii
- Your wii should either pop up Load boot.dol/elf? or freeze. If it freezes, please let us know
- Press Yes!
- Your wii will then display a message saying that if you paid for the software you have been scammed, etc etc. Press "1" on your wii remote to continue
- A page will pop up telling you what you can and cannot install, dont worry, just click "A" to continue
- The next page presents 5 options, you want the first one, so scroll up to the first option of "Install the Homebrew Channel" and click A
- the next message is "intsall the homebrew channel now?", click Yes!
- the Homebrew channel will be installed in about 2 seconds!
- click continue, then exit
The HBC (Homebrew channel) is now installed the Gecko OS app is now on your wii Click on the Gecko OS icon on the homebrew channel, and click "Load"
This is the process to get your NTSC games to work (starting from when you turn your console on)
- Insert the game you want to play
- Load up the HBC
- Load up Gecko OS
- Click "Launch Game" its the first option!
- The gecko program will start to spin your wii disc, and it should automatically match the region to your wii and start the game!